WYOMING COUNTY, W.Va. – The Wyoming County Economic Development Authority is hosting a writing competition to encourage and recognize writers in Wyoming County.
Writers from Wyoming County of all ages are encouraged to enter and submit works centering around the theme of Wyoming County History and Culture. The EDA is partnering with the Beckley Area Foundation and the Wyoming County Planning Commission to provide judges made up of writers and Wyoming County residents.
There are 4 entry categories: elementary school (1st-5th grade), middle school (6th-8th grade), high school (9th-12th grade), and adults (18+). Prizes are available for each category and are made possible by our generous donor, Lonnie Bailey.
Lonnie, a Wyoming County resident, has written 19 books and is an award-winning poet. Lonnie established the Literature Fund for Wyoming County at the Beckley Area Foundation.
The theme for all entry categories is Wyoming County History & Culture. Elementary students entering may choose from one of these prompts, or create their own.
• Sunny Summer Day: What is your favorite thing to do in Wyoming County on sunny summer days?
• Unique Facts: Research and share three unique facts about Wyoming County.
• Pay it Forward: What is one thing you would like to do now or in the future to make Wyoming County a better place?
• Cityscapes: If you had a friend visit from another state, what is the one place in Wyoming County you would insist they visit or see? What makes this place special?
• Notable people: Write about a famous person born and raised in Wyoming County.
To enter, you must be a resident of Wyoming County in grades 1-12 or 18 years of age or older. All entries must be original work of the person entering. Published works are not eligible to be entered. It’s free to enter the writing contest.
More specific entry rules are:
•The author’s name must not appear in the entry.
•Entries must be titled, typed in standard 12-point font on one side of 8.5×11 white paper and double-spaced. A parent or teacher may assist with typing elementary school entries.
•Each entry must be at least 1,000 words long. The maximum number of words per entry is 5,000. 1st-5th grades have a 200-word minimum.
•Entries with multiple pages must be stapled or secured with paper clips.
•All sources should be specifically named or cited.
•Poetry will be accepted and does not have a word requirement.
Submit entries to the Planning Commission at 506A River Road, P.O. Box 1828, Pineville, WV 24874 or email [email protected] with the subject line “Wyoming County Writing Contest.”
The deadline for entries is May 31, 2021. We’re looking forward to reading the works of our talented Wyoming County writers.
Categories & Prizes
– Elementary (1st-5th grade)
•1st – $75; 2nd $50; 3rd $25
– Middle School (6th-8th grade)
•1st – $100; 2nd $75;
– High School (9th-12th grade)
•1st – $100; 2nd $75
– Adults (18+) 1st $300; 2nd $20