The Wyoming County Board of Education approved the second and final reading of Medical Time Out at last Thursday’s board meeting.
MTO, a program aimed at improving response time and preparedness at high school football game, will go into effect this season.
The program was developed by Dr. Jim Kyle, Region I Emergency Medical Services director.
Assistant Superintendent of Schools Frank Mann said the program has administrative support.
“The high school principals are ready to go with it,” he commented.
Training would be conducted in-county, Mann indicated.
Under MTO, EMTs, athletic trainers and assistant coaches meet 30 minutes before game time to review a check list of preparedness items. The program also calls up for ambulance back up.
Alicia Besenyei of The Kyle Group said it would also be a good idea to get law enforcement involved.
She said Kyle wants to expand the program to eventually include girls soccer and middle school football.
Kyle reported at an earlier meeting that girls suffer more concussions in soccer than basketball.
Later, Superintendent of Schools Frank “Bucky” Blackwell said he expects the new Huff Consolidated School to open on time.
Aug. 21 is the first day for students.
Blackwell said items are being delivered to classrooms.
“Everything is moving extremely well,” he remarked.
Blackwell said a recent principals meeting went well.
He explained that security issues—cell phone boosters, two-way radios, crisis management plans had been discussed.
“I think we’re making a lot of progress there,” he remarked.
Board Member Allan Stiltner asked about security information proveided to substitutes.
Assistant Superintendent Deirdre Cline said substitutes receive a packet which includes security-related information and noted that each school has its own crisis management plan.
“We’re open to growth,” she commented.
Cline noted that subtitutes are required to take a RESA I class dealing with security issues.
The superindent said he pointed out that Wyoming County ranked No. 17 among the 55 counties last year and that the goal for this year is to crack the top 10.
Also, Blackwell reported that principals voted not to allow an Oceana Middle sixth grader to move up to the 7th-8th grade basketball team. The student’s parents had made the request at the previous BOE meeting.John Conley can be reached at 304-732-6060 or on Twitter @PIHnews.